Shop Rules 1.0 - questions, comments?

Here are the draft shop rules for Protohaven 1.0. These are in line with our earlier discussions - New Shop Rules - and are meant to provide three basic principles (safety, taking care of the tools, and cleaning up) that are easy to remember, along with details on what it means to follow those rules in specific contexts.

It’s worth noting that these rules are meant to govern how we interact with the space, not really how we interact with each other. Consensus seemed to be that the “Don’t be a Jerk/Jagoff” rule from before was really part of a separate set of Community Values or Guidelines that are less about the shop, and more about the people in it. We’ll be developing, and seeking input on, those separately.

We’ll be printing and posting these in the next couple weeks, so please share any questions or comments you have in this thread.

Shop Rules

1. Be Safe

Use Common Sense: If something feels risky, don’t do it. Ask for help or find a better way.

See Something, Say Something: If you see someone doing something that may be unsafe, politely suggest a better way.

Get Safety Clearances: Most tools in the shop require an Equipment Clearance Class or Test before use. Do not use this equipment before obtaining the necessary clearance. These clearances are the bare minimum to use the equipment and are not a substitute for consulting the manufacturer’s safety guidelines, asking for help, or following general safety principles.

Wear Protective Equipment: Closed-toed shoes and safety glasses are required and hearing protection is recommended in the Workshop area of the space. Wear a respirator when sanding or spraying. Use dust collection, fume extractors, and ventilation fans where provided. No gloves, loose clothing, or dangling hair or jewelry around tools that spin. Additional PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) may be required for specific areas and tools.

Watch and Reset Equipment: Never leave a piece of machinery operating unattended. If you’ve changed equipment settings or setup during use, return them to their original states before leaving the tool.

Guests: Members are welcome to bring guests into the space for meetings or to see their projects. Guests may not operate the equipment or otherwise work in the space unless they become members or are part of a scheduled class or volunteer activity. Members are responsible for any guests they bring into the space.

Minors: Those under 18 need parental consent to use the space.

• 12+: may use the Workshop or Studio with parental or approved adult supervision.
  • Under 12: are welcome as guests in the Studio with parental or approved adult supervision, but are not allowed to operate equipment and are not allowed to be in the Workshop unless there is a special event.

Pets: Clean, well behaved pets are welcome in the Studio area. For both pets’ and members’ safety pets are not allowed in the Workshop area.

After Hours Access: The following rules also apply to Pro Members with 24/7 access when using the shop outside of public hours:

• Guests, minors, and pets are not allowed outside of public hours
  • All exterior doors must remain locked
  • The Buddy System (having at least one other person in the space who knows you are using the tool) must be used when operating any tool with a spinning attachment (such as a drill press, mill, lathe, or grinder), moving cutting teeth or blades (such as motorized saws, planer, or jointer), or flammable gas (such as the forge, cutting torch, or soldering torch). Unless otherwise specified by the tool manufacturer, the Buddy System is not required for CNC machines where the user remains at a safe distance during tool operation.

2. Take Care of the Tools

Be Gentle: These are not your tools. Treat them better than you would your own tools.

Get Clearances: Each tool is different and most are expensive and/or delicate. Safety Clearance Classes and Tests provide machine-specific care details so you can effectively use a tool without damaging it.

Do Not Alter: Tools at the shop are setup to serve a large number of people and projects. Do not permanently alter them for a particular use. If you temporarily change settings or setup, return them to their original state before leaving the tool.

Use As Intended: All tools have limits. Only use tools within their specified parameters. You may bring in your own tools, or help the shop buy tools that better serve a particular purpose.

Notify When Maintenance Is Needed: We can only fix what we know about. Please use the status tag at each machine to indicate when repair is needed.

Pay for What You Break: If you damage a tool by altering it or using it beyond its intended use, you may be required to pay for its repair or replacement. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear.

3. Keep the Shop Clean

Clean Up After Yourself: Making things creates garbage and debris. You are responsible to clean it up. Your work area should look better when you leave than when you started.

Return Tools to Their Original Locations: Large equipment should not be moved for use. Smaller tools or carts should be returned to their original location when you are finished.

Pay for Overnight or Monthly Storage: Unless you have paid overnight or monthly storage (of which there are many options), everything you bring in with you must leave when you leave for the day. If you pay for storage, you may only store items in the area designated for you. Anything left outside of your paid storage may removed and disposed of.

No Sanding, Loud Tools, or VOC’s in the Studio: The Studio is the shop’s cleaner, quieter space, where equipment may be sensitive to dust and people expect to be able to work without Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). The Workshop is designed for loud, dusty, and smelly projects.

Use Common Sense - A nice sentiment, but unenforceable and isn’t a “rule”, it’s a wish. Don’t clutter the rules with inanities. 'Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain’.

See Something, Say Something - I don’t think it’s a good idea to confront someone (even politely) unless whatever they are doing is obviously dangerous or clearly going to damage the equipment. That’s not to say something shouldn’t be said to staff, but members policing each other can lead to problems. We all think we’re experts.

Get Safety Clearances - My problem with this is the “bare minimum to use the equipment”. I think everyone must demonstrate competence to use the equipment. I’m being a tight ass about this, I know, but there’s a world of difference between an hour or two of hands-on training as opposed to a short lecture as far as safety is concerned.

Wear Protective Equipment - This rule is too wordy. Try ‘Safety glasses must be worn in the shop at all times in addition to any safety equipment or procedures required for the particular machine or area of the shop you are using’. It shouldn’t be necessary (in the rules) to go over specifics.

Watch and reset equipment - Try ‘Verify that the equipment is properly set-up before activating it. Clean any debris or scrap when finished using the machine and return it to a neutral state (remove any attachments, bits, etc.)’ Don’t depend on the last user to leave the machine in a safe state.

Guests - ‘Guests must sign a release and wear appropriate protective equipment and must be accompanied in the shop. Guests may not operate equipment or work in the shop or studio’.

Minors - OK

Pets - Service animals only in the Studio. No animals in the shop.

After Hours Access - No one should ever work alone. Slip and fall, medical emergency…lots of bad things can happen that don’t involve a machine. My dad was carving a piece of wood and his hand slipped, and he put a chisel into his wrist. He’d have bled to death if I hadn’t been there.

1 Like

I think the rules are generally good, even though a couple items are partially duplicated under sections 1 and 2.

To address a few of WDw’s points:
Maybe we can combine “Use Common Sense” and “See Something, Say Something” into one category of “Use Tools Properly - A member must be cleared by an authorized agent before using equipment. Read and follow the manufacturer’s safety guidelines. If you see someone using a tool improperly, say something.”
I do think there will need to be a certain amount of member policing. We don’t have employees walking the floor who are trained in all aspects of tool usage and safety. I’ve already seen unsafe usage of machines at Protohaven and have tried to be helpful and polite in correcting the mistakes. I don’t want to be seen as “the jerk”, but sometimes someone has to correct a bad situation. Misuse of a machine is often because the proper method is unknown to the user, and a brief explanation can get them back on their project safely and more efficiently. I think members shouldn’t be harassed by curious onlookers if they’re working safely.

With regards to “competence”, I think the safety clearances are intended to make sure that everyone is competent, not simply lectured at. If you think that is not the case, that issue should be taken up with whomever

“Watch and reset equipment” - The last user should absolutely undo any special setup they have performed. The metal lathe was recently set up to use collets instead of the jawed chuck, and it took FOREVER to figure out how to get the attachment off without damaging the machine, even after verifying the procedure in the manufacturer’s instructions. Of course the new user should be competent, verify that everything is as they want it, and shouldn’t assume anything, but that shouldn’t give people carte blanche to just walk away from a machine after they’re done with their task. You make laws against mugging, not against being mugged.

Pets - I agree that it should be service animals only. I hate to be a killjoy, but I also don’t want the studio to become a dog park.

1 Like

See Something, Say Something is critical, particularly since this is NOT TechShop and there are NO STAFF to say anything about someone’s actions, regarding their personal safety, those around them, or safe for the equipment (stalling motors, etc). I am ALWAYS THAT GUY who steps in and hands somebody a set of safety glasses or asks about the settings that a person is using, etc, and that’s fine by me.

For the Wear Protective Equipment, I suggest including the 10 foot rule, which OSHA and other institutions use in some form with slight variations. If you are doing something that requires a special form of PPE, make sure that anyone within 10-15 feet of you is aware of that activity and has access to the same PPE or an opportunity to leave the area temporarily.

I think Guests are an important but delicate issue, in that a SAFETY BUDDY is a very good idea for some pieces of equipment (LATHE!). Added to the fact that working on a project with a friend there, even one who isn’t allowed to touch any equipment or perform “work”, is a more pleasant experience, they are also playing a safety role and, in the absence of “DC’s”, there needs to be an acceptable mechanism to support that form of Guest in the shop area.

1 Like

If you use a tag to mark a piece of equipment as needing repair/service, you also need to alert staff (via email, forum, phone call, text message, whiteboard, etc.) because nobody is running around examining all the tags.

If specific PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is recommended for a piece of equipment, it should be posted right by the equipment. A highly visible, easy-to-read posting by the equipment makes it easier to remind people to take specific safety steps before, during and after use.

When you’re done using the laser, vacuum the honeycomb bed. I’m frequently doing this when I first start to use a laser, because the person before me didn’t. So in general, be sure to clean up after yourself when you’re done using a piece of equipment. Maybe a reminder sign would help. Or a bullet list of things to check/clean before/after using equipment. For example, I first learned about cleaning the trap beneath the laser bed when smoke remained inside the laser cabinet (wasn’t being vented). Maybe not all the time, but periodically some things need to be cleaned/emptied. Might need a maintenance schedule card posted (signoff/date). An electronic version might be nice, but then we’d need an easy way to be alerted of imminent maintenance.

Loud/obnoxious music or other distracting/disruptive audio should be discouraged in the Studio area during regular business hours. Wear headphones.

Some rules regarding the use of the kitchen area are warranted. Anything in the fridge not marked is fair game (also feel free to put a “free! eat me!” note on things you wish to share with others). It’s a good idea to mark perishables with a date so they can be discarded before blue fuzzy stuff shows up on them. There may be legal liability issues regarding the consumption of alcohol on the premises. These probably need to be dealt with explicitly in the Shop Rules.

1 Like

Overall, good rules.
Wear Protective Equipment: Roll up all long sleeves to elbows. (Be explicit in your language.) Dangling hair is not as clear as “hair must be tied back with a hair tie” when operating any moving machinery. No jewelry, watches or headphones.
Pets: Service Pets only.
After Hours Access: I’m an advocate for never working alone, not just exclusive to machinery. If you’re not going to flex on that, CNCs should be mandatory in that buddy-system rule. Saying you’re always at a safe distance means you never: manually edge find, zero, change bits, have your part come loose and the endmill shears at 18k RPM. ( If it has an e-stop… I would reconsider.)
Watch and Reset Equipment: Add “The shop environment is a social one, but there are times when individuals need to focus when operating equipment. Always try to approach individuals when they are not operating equipment or are at a neutral state of work. When preforming any work, take an extra moment to focus on the task. Eyes on task, mind on task.”

1 Like

Good point. The operator’s eyes and mind need to be on task. Distracting or startling someone who is operating a band saw could result in injury. And there’s the band saw, right by the door we’re not supposed to routinely use!

At work we employ the SafeStart system to consciously alert ourselves to potentially unsafe situations:

The four (4) States:

• Rushing
  • Frustration
  • Fatigue
  • Complacency

Cause these common errors:

• Eyes not on Task
  • Mind not on Task
  • Line of Fire
  • Balance/Traction/Grip

Being self-aware of the states we might be in reduces the likelihood of making one of the errors.

1 Like

I’m usually a fan of “don’t work alone” on the metal mill and lathe, especially after the death of Michele Dufault who was killed while working solo on the lathe late at night. Her hair was down, got caught in the lathe, and she was strangled to death. (She also wrote the safety guidelines so there’s another lesson.)

Honestly, at home I use the drill press “solo” all the time, along with my metal band saw and hand tools. I also use my lasersaur solo for hours on end. I don’t run the lathe or mill or weld unless my spouse is home or I’m co-working with someone on a project.

If I had to pay someone to hang out with me hours-per-day in my home studio for things like hand tools or watching the laser cut wood I’d never break even.

1 Like

Yes! I had the same Safe Start training. It is honestly pretty good.

1 Like

Several thoughts follow from the “don’t work alone” proposal:

First, the value of Pro-level membership is totally predicated on after-hours access to the facilities and equipment. Imposing additional burdens during those hours is literally counter-productive: the rule prevents them from the productive activities that help them earn a living.

Secondly, we already have daily “hazard exposure” in ways that the buddy system is hoped to guard against. Consider the many times that we have a one Volunteer Host on duty, and perhaps only one or two members working out in the main shop. If the member gets injured or entrapped by equipment, and can’t get to the studio or shout loud enough to be heard, they are in quite a jam.

Perhaps we need a structural solution - an in-house alarm system that would allow anyone to summon attention when needed. Something akin to a medical alert button. Part of it may already be hanging on the wall - I’m thinking of that big noisy bell that’s hanging on the back of the shop. I recall that the Amazon Dash buttons can be hacked, so that a press triggers an IFTTT action, such as triggering a good old Arduino to ring that un-ignorable bell. Heck, we’re still without a functional doorbell that can summon the Volunteer Host to the front door!! *

Potential use cases:

• “ding dong”, front doorbell
  • single “ding”, loading dock door
  • three rings - human emergency in the shop!!
  • four rings - call 911

(* If the volunteer host hadn’t been at the desk, how would they have seen the nice Pittsburgh Firemen at the front door the other day? No, I’m not kidding!!)

Which reminds me, I did have a comment on the role of a volunteer host. It’s great to have people who can give tours, do new membership paperwork, answer questions, etc. Arguably, they don’t need to have any shop skills, they can just be a receptionist/tour guide, which certainly opens up the talent pool.

However, “volunteer hosts” are not what we call “docents” in the uni world. If we had docents one would sit in the back room and another in the front and their entire job is “keep people safe and the machines running”. The people working the floor at TechShop were similar to docents, they weren’t there to teach you to do stuff, they were their to maintain equipment and prevent dangerous situations.

As an example, they would have intervened when they saw someone running a laser cutter with the side panels open, a serious safety risk for everyone in the room. I politely asked the person to fix their light leaks; in retrospect I should have asked them to pause their job and explained why they needed to stop running an open laser cutter.

TL:DR; I believe a set of principles and rules like these should be posted prominently in the shop:

“In order to serve its current and future members, Protohaven must be a safe, functional, and productive space, as well as an inclusive and sustainable organization. To support this, users of the shop must abide by the following rules:

1. Do not put yourself at risk. (Supports “Safe” and “Sustainable”)

2. Do not threaten the safety or well-being of anyone else. (Safe, Sustainable, Inclusive)

3. Only use tools and equipment you have been cleared to use. (Safe, Functional)

4. Follow the use and safety guidelines for each tool. (Safe, Functional)

5. Report maintenance issues or other safety concerns immediately. (Functional, Safe)

6. Take responsibility for the tools and equipment you use. (Functional, Sustainable)

7. Keep the shop clean and tidy. (Safe, Functional, Productive, Sustainable)

8. Keep the shop organized. (Functional, Productive)

9. Follow policies concerning guests, minors, and pets. (Safe, Functional, Inclusive)

10. Follow additional rules, guidelines, and procedures wherever present. (Safe, Functional, Productive, Inclusive, Sustainable)”

All members need to receive a detailed orientation to the shop rules and other shop procedures as part of their membership. In addition to these general rules and principles, specific tools, areas, or other conditions may require more detailed rules, guidelines, and procedures, which should also be posted prominently and publicly in the area or at the tool to which they apply.

Failure to adhere to these rules warrants restorative discipline (making amends); chronic failure or malicious disregard warrants a loss of membership and dismissal from the shop.

Hey everyone,

Below is a pretty long post, which contains a revised set of the proposed shop rules. I’ve looked over the various suggestions and other contributions made to Devin’s original rules, and tried to incorporate as much feedback as possible from the comments as well as integrating some additional information from a discussion I had with Devin. These rules, in general, are similar to the original 1.0 rules suggested by Devin, though I’ve tried to use more explicit and direct language (as was suggested in a couple comments), and have adjusted the presentation of some rules slightly, for reasons explained below.

Given that Protohaven is public space operated largely by volunteers, I believe shop rules and procedures need to be publicly visible, prominent, and reinforced by all members. I also believe that we need to have, and make public, an overarching set of principles that support the continued operation of the space, so that it’s clear how each rule benefits the membership as a whole.

Because Protohaven contains such a wide variety of machinery, certain tools, areas, and circumstances will warrant more specific rules, which too should be posted publicly and prominently. For example, rules about storing food in the fridge should be posted on the fridge; rules about wearing safety glasses and closed-toed shoes should be posted on doors leading to the Workshop; guidelines and additional safety requirements or required PPE for using the Ironworker should be posted at the Ironworker, etc. The more that knowledge of what is required or appropriate is public, and connected to a set of higher values, I believe the easier it will be for members to adhere to and reinforce these rules among ourselves.

While I think that these rules are straightforward and sensible, they depend on members’ understanding and adherence - we have to self-police. Therefore, I think it is necessary that all existing members receive a detailed orientation to the shop rules once they are finalized, as well as an orientation to other shop procedures like check-in, tool cribs, tool checkout, after-hours and minor policies, etc. We need to provide a similar orientation to all new members as a condition of their membership. It is the shop’s obligation to educate, it is the responsibility of us as members to adhere and reinforce our rules and policies.

When presented publicly on a poster or something similar, the principles and general rules do not need to be presented in as much detail as is given below; something similar to what is written in the TL;DR section above would suffice.

Below is my recommendation for a revised set of shop rules and the principles they support, as well as a brief justification as to why we need shop rules in the first place. While I expect that most of us understand the need for rules, making this justification explicit helps ensure we’re all pulling in the same direction.

Why we have Shop Rules:

Protohaven is a shared workspace that operates for the benefit of its members, and by the contributions of its members. In order to serve its community of current and future members, Protohaven must be a safe, functional, and productive space; in order to persist and grow, Protohaven must also be an inclusive and financially-sustainable organization.

Members are responsible for contributing to the continued operation of Protohaven with respect to these principles, both through their payment of membership and service fees as well as through the actions they take while working in the shop. As such, these principles and associated shop rules are outlined in greater detail below; it is the responsibility of members to ensure they fully understand these ideas and can comply with them as a condition of their membership. Failure to do so will result in restorative disciplinary action; repeated failure to follow (or intentional disregard) of these principles and rules is grounds for immediate revocation of membership and dismissal from the shop.

Principles:

Protohaven shall be:

Safe: Members shall be able to utilize the space and equipment without risk of injury from malfunction, negligence, or malicious actions of other members or guests.

Functional: At any given time, the majority of the equipment at Protohaven shall be in fine working order, and members shall have a reasonable understanding of what equipment is operational, what is non-operational, and an understanding of the expected timelines for maintenance and repairs.

Productive: Members shall be able to utilize the space to produce personal and commercial projects on a reasonable timeline, without significantly interfering with, or experiencing significant interference from, the projects of other members.

Sustainable: Protohaven’s continued operation and ability to serve its membership and the community at large requires that the space be financially sustainable. Financial sustainability for Protohaven comes as the result of a combination of three factors:

• Direct revenue from membership and service fees
  • Minimization of operating costs through the use of volunteer labor and the conscientious behavior of all members
  • Demonstration of Protohaven’s value as a community-serving organization for the purpose of securing grants for operational and programmatic funding.

It is the responsibility of the members to support the continued operations of Protohaven by promptly paying membership and service fees; engaging conscientiously with equipment and tools to minimize losses and maintenance costs; volunteering skills, experience, and labor, when possible, to support shop operations; and contributing usage data and other information as needed to support Protohaven’s pursuit of grants and other external sources of funding.

Inclusive: The primary determinants of membership in Protohaven are the member’s ability to adhere to these principles, follow the shop rules, and pay their membership and service fees. As such, Protohaven shall welcome new members regardless of ethnic background, sex, gender expression, education level, experience, skill, physical ability, or other socioeconomic or demographic factors. Protohaven shall provide all members with a detailed orientation to the mechanisms of shop operation and expectations and responsibilities of members, so that all members may have a shared understanding of appropriate behavior within the shop.

The General Shop Rules below serve to support these principles, to the benefit of all members.

General Shop Rules:

1. Do not put yourself at risk. (Supports the principles of “Safe” and “Sustainable”)

There are safe and unsafe ways to use every tool and area of the shop. You are responsible for your safety - for your sake, the sake of those around you, and the sake of the shop as a whole, do not put yourself in dangerous situations. Wear personal protective equipment appropriate for the tools you are using and areas of the shop you are working in. Use tools as they are intended, and do not use damaged or malfunctioning equipment. Verify that equipment is properly set-up before activating it - don’t depend on the last user to leave the machine in a safe state.

Do not use any tool or machine if you are rushing, frustrated, fatigued, distracted, or otherwise unable to focus. Keep your eyes on task, mind on task, body balanced and stable, and out of the line of fire.

The risk of severe injury or death as a result of working alone is very high. Severe injury or death not only poses a risk to individuals, but risks the long-term sustainability of the shop as a whole. Therefore, Protohaven strongly discourages members from working in the Workshop by themselves. Pro Members planning to work after public hours should make every effort to coordinate with other members via the forums, Facebook page, or other means to find at least one other person to be present in the shop with them.

2. Do not threaten the safety or well-being of anyone else. (Safe, Sustainable, Inclusive)

Do not distract or impede other members while they are working. Approach individuals when they are not operating equipment or are at a neutral state of work. When moving through the shop or using equipment yourself, be aware of your surroundings, and do not ever leave equipment running unattended.

Watch your language: be considerate of how your speech and behavior may make others feel. Verbal or physical threat, assault, or misconduct is grounds for immediate dismissal from the shop.

3. Only use tools and equipment you have been cleared to use. (Safe, Functional)

Most large pieces of equipment, and some smaller tools, require clearances to use. Do not use any tool for which you have not been cleared. Required clearances are posted on most tools - if you are unsure if a piece of equipment requires a clearance, ask before using it.

4. Follow the use and safety guidelines for each tool. (Safe, Functional)

Use tools as they are intended, and follow the guidelines presented in clearance classes, in the manual, and in other reputable sources for the safe and proper use of tools. If you are unsure or have forgotten how to use a particular tool, ask for assistance from another member cleared to use the equipment, or refer to the manual or to other reputable sources for more information about the proper use of a given tool.

5. Report maintenance issues or other safety concerns immediately. (Functional, Safe)

Report missing or damaged equipment and other maintenance or safety issues immediately. If you observe another member engaging in unsafe behavior, respectfully approach the member when they are in a neutral state of work to discuss your concern, and/or bring the issue to the immediate attention of the host on duty.

To report maintenance issues, submit a maintenance report and place the appropriate status tag on the machine. If the equipment is non-functional or dangerous, alert the host on duty.

6. Take responsibility for the tools and equipment you use. (Functional, Sustainable)

Treat tools and equipment with care and respect. Do not throw hand tools or hit larger pieces of equipment. Take responsibility for any tools or equipment you have damaged or lost, and pay for repairs or replacement parts if necessary.

Do not make permanent alterations to equipment. Clean any debris or scrap when finished using a piece of equipment, and return it to a neutral state when finished (remove any attachments, bits, etc.).

7. Keep the shop clean and tidy. (Safe, Functional, Productive)

Do not allow your projects to impede the work of other members. When working, limit your use of floor and table space to the minimum necessary for your project. When finished, clean up your work area, clean tools and equipment of any debris, dispose of waste material (including sawdust) in appropriate containers, and return any tools used to the appropriate areas.

Dispose of food scraps and other organic waste only in the kitchen. Clean and put away dishes, utensils, cups and glasses immediately after using them.

The Studio is the shop’s cleaner, quieter space, where equipment may be sensitive to dust and people expect to be able to work without personal protective equipment. The Workshop is designed for loud, dusty, and smelly projects. Use the appropriate area of the shop for your project; metal projects in the metalshop, wood projects in the woodshop, etc. No sanding, loud tools, or VOC’s in the Studio.

8. Keep the shop organized. (Functional, Productive)

Each shop area has color-coded hand tools and a matching tool crib. Certain expensive, fragile, or dangerous tools are available as checkout items from the Front Desk. The shop also offers rentals of storage lockers, cages, sheet, board, and other overnight storage options for materials and projects.

When you are finished with a hand tool, return it to its matching tool crib. When finished with a checkout item, ensure the tool or kit is complete, and return it to the front desk and check it back in with the host on duty.

When taking a break from work, return all tools and equipment and minimize the footprint of your personal materials. When finished working for the day, return all tools and equipment and remove all personal materials from working areas (tables and floorspace). Unless you have paid for overnight or monthly storage, everything you bring in with you must leave when you leave for the day. Anything left outside of your paid storage may removed and disposed of.

If you see a hand tool that has been left outside of its matching crib, or placed in the wrong crib, take a moment to return the tool to its appropriate area.

9. Follow policies concerning guests, minors, and pets. (Safe, Functional, Inclusive)

Members are welcome to bring guests into the space for meetings or to see their projects. All guests must sign a waiver on their first visit, and must be checked-in by the host on duty on subsequent visits. Guests must wear appropriate protective equipment and must be accompanied in the shop. Guests may not operate equipment or work in the Workshop or Studio.

Children age 11 and under are welcome as guests in the Studio with parental or approved adult supervision, but cannot become Members and are not allowed to operate equipment. Children age 11 and under are not allowed to be in the Workshop except during special events.

Children ages 12-18 may become Members, take clearance classes, and use relevant equipment in the Workshop or Studio, with parental or approved adult supervision.

Service animals are welcome in the Studio. For both pets’ and members’ safety pets are not allowed in the Workshop area.

10. Follow additional rules, guidelines, and procedures wherever present. (Safe, Functional, Productive, Inclusive, Sustainable)

These general shop rules are intended to cover basic operations of the shop as a whole. Specific areas of the shop, individual tools, or other circumstances may dictate additional rules, guidelines, or procedures. Follow additional rules, guidelines, and procedures wherever present. If you are unsure if additional concerns are necessary, ask.

Additional policy:

(This rule applies only to Pro Members, and is thus not appropriate for general shop rules. This should be included in the orientation for Pro Members.)

Pro Members are responsible for the shop after hours. (Safe, Sustainable)

Pro Members may access the shop outside of public hours. During this time, minors and pets are not allowed in the shop, and all exterior doors must remain locked. When leaving for the night, the Pro Member must ensure all equipment and lights are turned off, and all exterior doors (including the loading dock) are locked.