(Can we have a Lasercutting Skill Group?)
I tend to do production laser cuts, that is, make some DXF files and just use them over and over for Etsy sales.
Last week I was cutting a newer set of files and one of the cuts did not complete correctly. I make the DXF files by sorting various objects then exporting as DXF, and I’d used this file previously with no errors. (Cord saw this, a circle made of arcs did not close correctly, there was maybe a 1mm Y distance gap between the start and stop of the circle.)
Yesterday I was preparing some orders and I discovered a new problem – some of my 400mm circles were roughly 395mm. I did a count, and it was exactly a third that were cut incorrectly. I have a set of three DXF files that makes three rotating tool stands out of three pieces of plywood and I started thinking that maybe I had a corrupt DXF file or it didn’t load correctly on the Rabbit.
Poked around this morning and found an error we ran in to back in the early days of Lasersaur development – DXF format is itself broken in that it allows different Z values in what should be a 2D drawing. Two of my DXF files had this error, the piece that is 395mm instead of 400mm is also maybe a meter off the Z plane in the DXF file. This was also the piece that had the previous problem where the start/stop of the circle were off by 1mm.
On the Lasersaur this actually broke the DXF importer and crashed the cutter (hurray me super programmer!) but it looks like the Rabbit is trying to just work around this and not doing a very good job.